Notes from a foodie traveler

I find that I want to share my travels and food experiences with whomever may be interested. If you find this blog interesting I am glad. If you take the time to comment, I will be even happier.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Paris


My hosts for my first 3 days in Paris were Pierre and Helene, a lovely couple who lived in a large apartment with a view of the Eiffel Tower. They put me up in their office on a trundle bed that was very comfortable. This was my very first couchsurfing experience, and I didn't know what to expect. Being hosted by Pierre and Helene was like visiting friends. They were busy during the day so I went out to explore Paris on my own, and then we ate together at night. I would find a good bottle of wine which Pierre and I shared with dinner. Helene didn't drink wine. (Very rare, in France.) Pierre brought in take-out from one of the nearby restaurants. We ate and discussed politics, philosophy, health care, etc. I could not have asked for a better experience.

Paris is a magical city. There is no other place like it in the world. There are so many things to do and see. I had brought with me a box of cards that had 50 Paris walks, with route and suggested things to see. During my Paris stay, I would pick a walk or two, and take the metro to the starting point. I would always see more than what was on the card, and would wander off the map by mistake or design, some of my favorite places were found this way. The card made a great starting and ending point and was easier to carry and follow than a large map. My first walk was through the Ile de la Cite. This is the place where Paris began in the 3rd century BC. My first full day in Paris was a beautiful sunny day. I didn't know then how few and far between pretty days would be on this trip. I mostly just walked and enjoyed the ambiance.
I had lunch at a cafe on Rue de Rivoli . It was mainly for tourists, but I sat outside and had a salade nicoise, which was very good. I love the French composed salads. They are always good and filling enough to make a meal. The Salade Nicoise was no exception. The tuna was rare and fresh, the olives were true nicoise, and the dressing was flavorful, tasting of good olive oil. I am already falling in love with the French baguette. It is chewy and the unique flavor makes you want another bite. It needs no butter.
Traveling alone has many advantages. You do exactly what you want to do, stopping when you see an interesting shop or just a place to sit and people watch. It is almost a zen experience because you only have yourself for company. You stay in your own head a lot. You also take in a lot more of what is going on around you. You are an observer. When I travel abroad with another American, I find that I mostly take in the sights, but not the fabric of life that goes on around me.
In the first Arrondissement there are many famous sights, Notre Dame, Sainte Chapelle, etc, and you should see it all, but one thing that I would advise you not to miss, is walking along the Seine, people watching and enjoying a pretty day. You see a cross section of Paris, tourists and residents alike.
Take a lunch or snack and just sit and enjoy. Frantic sight seeing is not the way to travel. You may be able to check off a lot of famous places from your list of places to see, but you will not really "get" the place you are visiting. I feel that leaving home is about getting the feel of another place and taking part of it home with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment